What we study
Join us for a 4 week student term
We are all here learning off grid living practices. How to chop fire wood, grow food, sustain an income, minimise waste, maintain vehicles, work with animals, the list goes on forever. We balance this with a real focus on inner work. No matter how much people learn here, the biggest thing each participant takes away, is what they learn of themselves.
Staying at Wilderland
What will you be doing?
You will be assigned a role based on your skills and interests.
In Landcare you will be planting food forests, managing the syntropics, and dealing with larger flora like tree pruning and harvesting. For Products & Housekeeping you will be making teas, creating balms and ointments, running the market stall, pouring honey, and processing our harvest into vinegars, jams, and other preserves. With Buildings and Maintenance you will be helping renovate buildings, maintain vehicles, and installing solar systems in homes.
What does a day like?
- 9am meeting and check-in
- Work with your team until lunch
- 1pm communal lunch
- Self-directed afternoon activities
It is heavily encouraged to get stuck in the community. Hosting afternoon yoga sessions is always popular, making a dinner for the community, sharing your skill as a 'workshop' for people to learn, are all great ways of keeping the community engaged and learning.
- 1 months stay
- 30 hours engagement per week
- Participating in community meetings
- Understanding that you will be the 'guide' of your learning
- Taking care of your home.
- No single-use plastic
- Biodegradable skin/hair/tooth care products only
- No drugs or alcohol
How to Apply
Please read our volunteer handbook for greater detail on life at Wilderland. Then just click the apply button bellow. Once we receive your application, we will get in touch and finalise details with you.
Any questions? Please don't hesitate to contact us for more info.
Commitment to Wilderland
We ask you to be committed to Wilderland at this time. That means when difficulty arises you try your best to address it, whether mechanical, personal, or social.
Commitment to learning alternative living
Things may not be as glamorous as you'd expect, often it means being dirty, cold, wet or frustrated. Pushing through those difficulties is what leads to real change.
Commitment to yourself
Lean into your feelings whether they are angry, fearful or joyous. Be true to yourself and respect your inner wisdom.
Commitment to understanding and compassion
Everybody here is on their own journey. You will be triggered, you will be uncertain about things, respect that others will too.
Commitment to open dialogue
If serious issues are to arise we have mediation facilitators available. Please commit to open dialogue. Openly share your thoughts, and hear feedback with an open mind.
Deposit and Cancelation Policy
A $50 deposit will be fully refunded at the end of your stay, provided: you leave your accommodations or camping spot completely trace-free, and your bedding has been washed . No tools have been lost or broken. Acceptable wear and tear is to be expected.
More than 60 days before the start
– 20% cancellation fee, the remaining amount (minus a cancellation fee) will be refunded to the credit card you paid with
Within the 31 – 60 days
– 20% cancellation fee, the remaining amount (minus a cancellation fee) will be kept as a credit on your account for the future, to be used in Wilderland including our shop, valid for the next 2 years
Within 15 – 30 days
– 50% cancellation fee, the remaining amount (minus a cancellation fee) will be kept as a credit on your account for the future, to be used in Wilderland including our shop, valid for the next 2 years
Within the 14 days before the program starts, after you join the program, and/or if you decide to leave earlier than the agreed commitment
– there is no refund and no credit given
No drugs or alcohol!